We appreciate that you trust us with your information. It is our mission to always keep that trust. The purpose of this document is to make sure you understand the information we collect, why we collect it, how we use it and your choices with regards to how you can control your information. We use plain language in this Policy that describes our privacy practices. We will keep legal and technical terms to a minimum.
Who We Are and What we do
3439 SE Hawthorne Blvd #915
Portland, OR 97214
Heycrush.com provides free dating advice and a dating, friendship and social discovery service.
Dating and relationship advisory offered via our service is a general editorial opinion for the general public and not tailored for any specific individual.
We are NOT a marriage agency and we DO NOT provide any marriage assistance services.
The service we offer is primarily an automated individual decision-making and profiling service.
An automated individual decision-making is a decision about an individual solely by automated means (i.e., using computers and algorithms only, without any human involvement in the decision-making process);
Profiling in this context mean evaluating certain things about an individual, including interests, preferences or behavior, through an automated processing of personal data (e.g., using computers and algorithms to determine someone’s interests based on his or her online behavior).
This automated individual decision-making and profiling forms the core of our service that helps you make meaningful connections with other users and help other users find you.
We also use automated individual decision-making and profiling to show you ads and offers that may be of interest to you and to promote safety and security.
In other words, we use automated computer algorithms to deliver to deliver most parts of our service and not humans.
3. Information We Collect
In order to help you make the most meaningful connections in the shortest possible time, we need to collect basic information about you and your personal preferences. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- Your profile information, bio, the types of people you’d like to meet, etc
- Information generated from your usage of our services and platforms
- Information from third parties such as when you access our services from third party social media account
You can find additional information about these in more detail below.
The Information that you give to us
When you sign up for or use any of our services, you choose to give us certain information which includes:
- On creating an account, you provide us with your login credentials and some other details necessary for our service to work. This includes but is not limited to your gender, date of birth, location, etc.
- Within your profile, you can share with us additional information about you. This includes details more details about you, your personality, lifestyle, interests and several other details. You can also include other content such as photos and videos of you. To enable us to add certain content, such as photos or videos, you may allow us to access your camera or photo album on your device or the social media accounts you explicitly link to our service. It is possible that some of the information you choose to provide us may be considered “special” or “sensitive” in certain jurisdictions. For example, your racial or ethnic origins, sexual identity and/or orientation, religious beliefs, etc. Should you choose to provide this information, you consent to us processing of that information.
- When you choose to subscribe to a paid service or make a purchase directly from us (rather than through a platform such as iOS or Android), you provide us or our payment service provider(s) with information, such as your debit or credit card number or other financial information.
- When you participate in surveys, focus groups, promotions, events, contests or other such activities conducted by us, we collect additional information you give us to register or participate in including but not limited to your insights into our products, services, responses to questions and testimonials.
- If you contact our customer care team, we collect the information you give us during the interaction. Sometimes, we also monitor or record these interactions for training and to ensure a high quality of service.
- If you ask us to communicate with or otherwise process information of other people (for example, if you ask us to send an email on your behalf to one of your friends), we collect the information about others that you give us in order to complete your request.
- We also process your chats or interactions with other users as well as any other content you publish, as part of the operation of the services.
Information we receive from others
In addition to the information you provide us directly, we receive information about you from others, including:
- Other Users
Other users may provide information about you as they use our services. For instance, we may collect information about you from other users if they contact us about you.
- Social Media
You may be able to use your social media login (such as Facebook Login) to create and log into your HeyCrush.com account. This saves you from having to remember yet another user name and password and allows you to share some information from your social media account with us.
- Other Partners
We may receive info about you from our partners, for instance where our ads and other promotions are published on a partner’s websites or platforms. In this case for example, they may pass along details on a campaign’s success.
Information collected when you use our services
When you use our services, we collect information about your interaction with our products and services. This include features you’ve used, how and how ofern you’ve used then, and information about the devices you use to access our products or services. You can find additional information about these in more detail below.
- Usage Information
We collect information about your activity on our services. For instance, how you use them (e.g., date and time you logged in, which features you’ve been using, searches performed you you, clicks and pages which have been shown to you, referring webpage address, advertising that you click on, etc) and how you interact with other users (e.g., users you connect and interact with, time and date of your exchanges, number of messages you send and receive, etc).
- Device information
We collect information from and about the device(s) you use to access our services, including:
- Hardware and software information such as IP address, device ID and type, device-specific and apps settings and characteristics, app crashes, advertising IDs (such as Google’s AAID and Apple’s IDFA, both of which are randomly generated numbers that you can reset by going into your device’ settings), browser type, version and language, operating system, time zones, identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser (e.g., IMEI/UDID and MAC address);
- Information on your wireless and mobile network connection, like your service provider and signal strength;
- Information from device sensors such as accelerometers, gyroscopes and compasses.
- Tertiary data that can be inferred from the data collected listed above for instance, your approximate geo location
- Other information with your consent
If you give us permission, we can collect your precise geolocation (latitude and longitude) through various means, depending on the service and device you’re using, including GPS, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connections. The collection of your geolocation may occur in the background even when you aren’t using the services if the permission you gave us expressly permits such collection. If you decline permission for us to collect your precise geolocation, we will not collect it. Similarly, if you consent, we may collect your photos and videos (for instance, if you want to publish a photo, video or streaming on the services).
4. Cookies and Other Similar Data Collection Technologies
Some web browsers (including Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome) have a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) feature that tells a website that a user does not want to have his or her online activity tracked. If a website that responds to a DNT signal receives a DNT signal, the browser can block that website from collecting certain information about the browser’s user. Not all browsers offer a DNT option and DNT signals are not yet standardised. For this reason, many businesses, including HeyCrush.com, do not currently respond to DNT signals.
5. How We Use Information
The primary reason we use your information is to deliver an optimal experience to you and to continually improve our services. We also use the information we collect to help keep you safe. We also use the information to provide you with advertising that may be of interest to you. You can find additional information about these in more detail below.
To manage your account and provide our services to you
- Create and manage your account
- Provide you with customer support and respond to your requests
- Complete your transactions
- Communicate with you about our services, including order management and billing
To help you connect with other users
- Analyze your profile, activity and preferences on the service in order to recommend meaningful connections to you
- Recommend you to others
- Show users’ profiles to one another
To ensure a consistent experience across your devices
When you use our service from multiple devices, we link the devices you use so that you can enjoy a consistent experience of our services on each one of them. We do this using various techniques such as your account information, browser data, partial or full IP address, browser version and other similar data about your devices to help identify and link them.
To provide new services to you
- Register you and show your profile on new apps or features
- Administer your account on these new apps or features
To serve you relevant offers, promotions and ads
- Conduct and administer contests, sweepstakes, discounts, promotions or other offers
- Develop, track and show content and advertising tailored to your interests and/or preferences on our products and services and other sites
- Communicate with you by email, phone, social media, mobile device or other mediums about products or services that we think may be of interest to you
To improve our services and develop new ones
- Conduct and administer surveys and focus groups
- Conduct analysis and research of users’ behavior and usage patterns to improve our content and services. For instance, we may choose to change the look and feel of our product and services or even alter, enhance or drop features based on users’ usage patterns or behavior)
- Design and develop new services and features. For instance, we may decide to build a new features or enhance existing ones based on requests received from users.
To prevent, identify and fight fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activities
- Respond to alleged or ongoing misbehavior on and off the platform
- Analyze data for better understanding, design and implementation of countermeasures against these activities
- Retain data related to fraudulent or illegal activities to prevent against recurrences and in some cases to comply with local and international law
To ensure legal compliance
- Comply with local or international legal requirements
- Assist law enforcement
- Enforce or exercise our rights, for instance, our Terms
We rely on the following legal bases to process your information as described above:
- Provide our service to you
In most situations, we process your information to honor your contract with us. For example, as you build connections using our service, we use your information to maintain your profile and account to make it viewable to other users as well as to recommend other users to you.
- Legitimate interests
We may use your information in situations where we have legitimate interests to do so. For instance, we analyze users’ behavior on our services to continuously improve our offerings, we may suggest offers we think might be of interest you, and we process information for administrative purposes, fraud detection and other legal and regulatory compliance.
We may ask for your consent to use your information for certain specific reasons from time to time. You may chose to withdraw your consent at any time by reaching out to us.
6. How We Share Information
Since our goal of our service is to help you make meaningful connections, the primary sharing of your information is, by design, with other users. We also share some users’ information with other service providers and partners who assist us in operating the services, with other partner companies companies and, in some cases, law enforcement agencies. You can find additional information about these in more detail below.
With other users
When you voluntarily disclose information on the service, you agree to share information with other users which includes your public profile. We encourage you to exercise proper judgement when with the information you share on your profile or during you interaction with other users. Before you share any information, make sure that you’re comfortable with it being publically viewable since neither you nor we can control what others do with the information once you share it.
Should you choose to limit the audience for all or some part of your profile or for certain content or information about you, then it will only be visible based on the settings and preferences you have configured.
With our service providers and partners
We use third parties to help us operate our service and improve them. These third parties help us with various tasks, including data hosting, analytics, operations, maintenance, customer care, advertising, marketing, payment processing and security.
We may also share information with our partners who promote, distribute and assist us in advertising and marketing our services. For example, we may share limited information on you in a hashed, non-human readable form with our advertising partners.
Before working with or engaging any partner or service provider we follow a strict vetting process. We require all of our partners and service providers to agree to strict confidentiality obligations.
For corporate transactions
If we are involved, whether in whole or in part, in a sale, merger, acquisition, restructuring, divestiture, reorganization, bankruptcy, dissolution or other change of ownership or control we may transfer your information.
When required by law
We may disclose your information if required by law or if we find it reasonably necessary:
- to comply with a local or international legal process, including but not limited to a court order, subpoena or search warrant, government or law enforcement investigation or to comply with any other legal requirements;
- to assist in the detection or prevention of crime (subject to applicable law in each case); or
- to protect the safety, security or identity of any individual.
To enforce legal rights
We may also share information:
- if the disclosure would reduce or mitigate our liability in a threatened or actual lawsuit;
- as deemed necessary to protect our legal rights, the legal rights of our users, business partners or other interested parties;
- to enforce our agreements with you; and
- to prevent, investigate, or take other action regarding suspected fraud, illegal activity or other wrongdoing.
With your consent or at your request
Sometimes, we may ask you for your consent to share your information with our partners or other third parties. In such a situation, we will make it clear why we want to share the information.
7. Cross-Border Data Transfers
As laid out in Section 6 above, sharing of information sometimes involves transferring data across borders. For instance to European Union, United States of America and other jurisdictions. Where the service allows, personal information of users located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), is transferred to countries outside of the EEA. To permit data transfers from the EEA to other countries, we use standard contract clauses approved by the European Commission or other suitable safeguard. These standard clauses are contractual commitments between companies involved in the transfer of personal data, contractually binding them to protect the privacy and security of data
8. Your Rights
We want you to be in control of your information, so we have provided you with the following tools:
- Access / Update tools in the service.
Account settings help you to access, modify or delete information associated with your account that you provided to us directly within the service. If you have any question on those tools and settings, please contact our customer care team for help.
- Device permissions.
Mobile platforms have permission systems for different types of device data and notifications. This includes information such as phone book, photos and video, location services, push notifications, etc. You can change your settings on your device to either consent or oppose the collection or display of the corresponding information or notifications. Note that, if you do that, certain services work with degraded functionality or in some cases may lose full functionality.
You can delete your account by using the corresponding functionality directly on the service.
We want you to be aware of your privacy rights. Here are a few key points to remember:
- Reviewing your information.
Applicable privacy laws in different jurisdictions may give you the right to review the personal information we have on file about you (this may be called right of access, right of portability or other similar terms depending on the jurisdiction). You can request a copy of your personal information by putting in such a request by contacting us.
- Updating your information.
If you believe that the information we hold about you is inaccurate or that we are no longer entitled to use it and want to request its rectification, deletion or object to its processing, please contact us.
We may ask you to provide proof of identity before we can answer the above requests for your protection as well as the protection of all of our users.
Keep in mind, we may reject requests for several reasons, including if the request is unlawful, violates the privacy of other users, if it may infringe on trade secrets or intellectual property, etc. If you wish to receive information relating to another user, such as a copy of any messages you received from them through our service, the other user will have to contact our Privacy Officer to provide their written consent before the information is released.
We may not be able to accommodate certain requests to object to the processing of personal information, especially where such requests would not allow us to provide our service to you anymore. For example, we cannot provide our service if we do not have your date of birth.
You can stop all information collection by an app by uninstalling it using the standard uninstall process for your device. If you uninstall the app from your mobile device, the unique identifier associated with your device will continue to be stored. If you re-install the application on the same mobile device, we will be able to re-associate this identifier to your previous transactions and activities.
In certain countries, including in the European Union, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the appropriate data protection authority if you have concerns about how we process your personal information. The data protection authority you can lodge a complaint with notably may be that of your habitual residence, where you work or where we are established.
9. Residents of California
If you are a resident of California , you can request a notice disclosing the categories of your personal information that we have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. To request this notice, please contact us with your request. Please allow us 30 days for a response. For your protection and the protection of all of our users, we may ask you to provide proof of identity before we can answer such a request.
10. How We Protect Your Information
We take your privacy seriously and we work hard to protect your data from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction. However, as with all technology companies, even though we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information will always remain secure.
We regularly monitor our systems for possible attacks and vulnerabilities and regularly review our information collection, storage and processing practices to update our physical, technical and organizational security processes.
We may suspend your use of all or part of the services without notice if we suspect or detect any breach of security, misrepresentation, or other fraudulent behavior. If you suspect that your account or information is no longer secure, please notify us immediately.
How Long We Retain Your Information
We retain your personal information only as long as we need it for legitimate business purposes (as laid out in Section 5) and as permitted by applicable law. In order to protect the safety and security of our users on and off our services, we implement a safety retention window of three months following account deletion. During this period, account information will be retained although the account will of course not be visible on the services anymore.
In practice, we delete or anonymize your information upon deletion of your account (following the safety retention window) or after two years of continuous inactivity, unless:
- we must keep it to comply with applicable law (for instance, some “traffic data” is kept for a period of one year to comply with statutory data retention obligations);
- there is an outstanding issue, claim or dispute requiring us to keep the relevant information until it is resolved; or
- the information must be kept for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users’ safety and security. For example, information may need to be kept to prevent a user who was banned for unsafe behavior or security incidents from opening a new account.
Please be aware that that even though our systems are designed to carry out data deletion processes according to the above guidelines, we cannot promise that all data will be deleted within a specific time-frame due to technical constraints.
12. Children’s Privacy
Our services are restricted to users who are 18 years of age or older. We do not permit users under the age of 18 on our platform and we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 18. If you suspect that a user is under the age of 18, please use the reporting mechanism available through the service.
Because we’re always looking for new and innovative ways to help you build meaningful connections, this policy may change over time. We will notify you before any material changes take effect so that you have time to review the changes.
14. How to Contact Us